Sunday 5 July 2009

Graduation and my first teaching experience

I can officially call myself a certified Bikram Yoga teacher! I got my certificate on Saturday 27th June (after a very long ceremony). Then me and my closest friends went out for dinner and I was in bed by 10pm. I was absolutely exhausted. The whole 9 weeks was an amazing experience but the lack of sleep finally caught up with me. Next day myself, Liz and Lulu travelled to San Diego. I felt so weak. I must have gone for a wee about 15 times before we left. I couldn’t stop peeing and I felt shaky. Maybe it was all the water retention letting go? However, we made it to our little apartment (one bed, a kitchenette and toilet). We stayed in the centre of San Diego and it was a perfect location for us to get to the 3 studios we were teaching at.


My first class was at 6am. I got through it and surprised myself with how much dialogue I knew. It was a bit scary but I didn’t really have time to get anxious as it was so early. I taught 6 classes in 4 days and by my third class I was hooked. The first two classes were ok, but the third one felt amazing and I could see people were starting to respond to what I was asking them to do. This yoga is so powerful and I now know how important it is for the teacher to maintain the energy. It makes people work harder and feel better.


I’m now sat in a hotel room near LAX. I’ve come full circle. I’ve said goodbye to my friends and I’m now waiting for my wonderful boyfriend to get here so we can have a holiday. I think that was the hardest thing to deal with whilst on training – missing people from home. My final message goes out to my amazing family and friends. Being away from home makes you realise what is important. I can’t wait to come home and settle back in to my lovely life. My only wish is that we can all take class together. That way, we can all live until we’re 120.


Namaste x

No comments:

Post a Comment